Are you looking for psychology internships in Portland? As a burgeoning hub for mental health services, Portland offers a wide range of opportunities for psychology students to get hands-on experience while working with professionals in their field. Whether you’re interested in clinical psychology, industrial-organizational psychology, or another specialty, Portland has something to offer.
In this guide, we’ll provide an overview of psychology internships in Portland, the benefits of completing an internship, and tips for finding and applying to internships that align with your career goals.
Why Complete a Psychology Internship?
Completing a psychology internship provides several benefits that can help jumpstart your career and prepare you for full-time employment in your field. Some of the key benefits of internships include:
- Hands-on experience: Internships allow you to gain practical experience in your field, providing you with insights into the day-to-day tasks and responsibilities associated with your chosen profession.
- Professional development: Internships offer opportunities for professional growth and mentorship, allowing you to learn from experienced practitioners and gain valuable feedback on your work.
- Networking: During your internship, you’ll have the chance to develop professional contacts in your field, which can lead to future job opportunities and professional references.
- Resume building: Completing an internship demonstrates your commitment to your field and your willingness to invest time and effort into professional development. This can make you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities.
Psychology Internships in Portland
If you’re looking for psychology internships in Portland, you’ll find a range of opportunities to explore. Here are a few examples:
Clinical Psychology Internships
Clinical psychology internships provide students with experience in a clinical or therapeutic setting, where they can work with patients and hone their therapeutic skills. Some examples of clinical psychology internships in Portland include:
- Providence Behavioral Health
- Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) Department of Psychiatry
- Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare
Industrial-Organizational Psychology Internships
Industrial-organizational psychology internships focus on the application of psychology principles in the workplace, such as improving employee performance and job satisfaction. Some examples of industrial-organizational psychology internships in Portland include:
- Cascade Employers Association
- The Standard Insurance Company
- Mercy Corps
Research Psychology Internships
Research psychology internships allow students to engage in research projects, either in academic or non-academic settings. Some examples of research psychology internships in Portland include:
- Oregon Social Learning Center
- Portland VA Research Foundation
- Providence Brain and Spine Institute
How to Find Psychology Internships in Portland
Here are some tips for finding and applying for psychology internships in Portland:
Check with your school: Many schools have resources available for students looking for internships, including online job boards and career fairs.
Research organizations in Portland: Take some time to research organizations in Portland that align with your career goals. Look for internships posted on their websites under the "career" or "employment" sections.
Use job search engines: Job search engines like Indeed, Glassdoor, and Handshake allow you to search for internships by keyword and location.
Network: Attend seminars, conferences, and professional events to network with professionals in your field and learn about internship opportunities.
Tailor your resume and cover letter: Customize your resume and cover letter to the specific internship you’re applying for. Highlight your skills and experience that align with the internship requirements.
Completing a psychology internship is a valuable investment in your future career. Not only does it provide you with hands-on experience and professional development opportunities, but it can also help you build a professional network and make you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities.
If you’re looking for psychology internships in Portland, there are many opportunities available in a range of specialties. Use the tips in this guide to find and apply to internships that align with your career goals. Good luck!